1) It is going to be hot on Saturday. Please hydrate and offer hydration breaks to teams. Clock continues to run during water breaks.
2) As discussed at the October monthly meeting, lets focus on communication with coaches this weekend.
a) Don’t yell and act like a dictator (which is abuse of power). Remain calm. If someone is hollering at you, don’t yell back at them. Speak respectfully and quietly, so the coach must quiet down to hear you.
b) Greet each coach with a firm handshake, a smile and look each coach in the eyes.
Issue firm, but simple instructions to the players so they know you are capable of managing the game..
c) Start the game on time.
3) Thank you to the refs that signed up today, so we did not have to cancel games. JUSA coaches and players are grateful.
4) Interesting article to review: https://www.referee.com/16-unwritten-rules-of-officiating/
5) Have Fun and don’t forget to streeetch!
A few notes for this weekend:
1) U9-U10 Sub Rules (all coaches have been sent emails) If you are doing U8, U9, or U10 Recreational (NOT SIGNATURE) matches, please remember the substitution procedures:
- Games are played in QUARTERS
- Substitutions are ONLY allowed at the quarter break (except for injury, yellow card, etc.)
- Time STOPS – you have 90 minutes for a 50 minute game. Don’t take the time away from them.
- It’s a quarter “break” – not a miniature halftime. Keep it to 2 minutes or less.
- All players must play at least THREE quarters.
- You should mark the players sitting out each quarter on the game card to make sure nobody sits out more than one quarter. That’s why there are boxes for each quarter next to the player’s name on the game card.
2) Coaches need to Sign the Game Cards
- Sometimes coaches question the score later, but not their initials on the game card. Make sure they sign it at the end of the game.
3) Shout Outs to Ref Remme, Ref Burdges & Ref Kaden Grubb
- I received great feedback from coaches about their professionalism and patience with players. “As a coach I was very impressed and as a parent I was very touched.”
4) Monthly Meeting on Monday, 6:30 PM at Yorba Linda Community Center. Raffle for prizes!
It’s a great weekend to ref! Check your schedule! Check your schedule! Some games still available.
Here are some notes.
1) Humidity is low but make sure you Hydrate!
2) Take two minutes to complete Rec game cards: Coaches are starting to pay attention to standings and scores are becoming important. Make sure they sign game cards and acknowledge the score.
3) Complete Signature Game Cards: Check player numbers and player cards. Right in jerseys #. Indicate who scored. Coaches required to sign game cards.
4) Be Safe: Keep your phone near you at the end of the game. Unfortunately, coaches and parents have approached refs at end of games and unpleasant conversations have ensued. Tell them you are recording the conversation. Tell me about any encounters with coaches and parents.
5) U8-U10: Subs: Talk to the coaches before the game and agree to sub at quarters. It ensures that all players play 3 quarters of the game as required by JUSA rules. Also, No punting at U8-U10.
Call the U8-U10 games tight. Parents rather have whistles than worry about flow of the game.
Don’t forget to Streeetch!! Next meeting is Oct 21, 6:30PM, YLCC