This is the last weekend of Spring 2021 JUSA Rec Soccer. Super thanks to everyone who refereed JUSA games this year. Without you, the kids could not have played soccer. We did good this spring!
Just a few notes for the weekend:
1) It’s going to be hot. Take water breaks. Ask the coaches in the pregame if they want one. Remind coaches it is not a coaching moment, it’s a 20 second hydration break and the clock is running. Don’t forget to keep yourself hydrated!
2) Be Safe. Keep your phone near you at the end of the game. Unfortunately, coaches and parents have approached refs at the end of games and unpleasant conversations have ensued. Tell them you are recording the conversation. Tell me about any encounters with coaches and parents.
3) Be Calm, Stay Calm: the heat this weekend might make everyone a little edgy so if the sideline gets agitated, find your inner ref place and ask nicely: 1) please coach, control your sideline. 2) Please coach I am asking you 3) please coach I am telling you. Caution and then red card. Ask, Tell, Dismiss.
4) Run with the play! Don’t be a “center circle” ref and make sure if you are the center, run the field. Kids, coaches and parents will appreciate your energy and your close up viewpoint. You want to be neither too close nor too far from the action: 10-12 yards is a good rule of thumb. If you are the AR, run along the touchline, between the halfway line and the goal line, keeping level with the 2nd-to-last-defender or the ball, whichever is closer to the goal line. Keep up!
5) Have Fun! Have Fun! Have Fun!
After this weekend, the next JUSA Rec game is the Friendship Tournament in mid August followed by first games on Sept 11.