Be Early – This is always an issue, especially/unfortunately with the more experienced refs who should be setting a better example.
Still required for Signature/InterCity along with the printed match reports
Still no player cards yet for Recreational teams
7v7 Recreational – Played in QUARTERS
If you are doing U8, U9, or U10 Recreational (NOT SIGNATURE) matches, please remember the substitution procedures:
- Games are played in QUARTERS
- Substitutions are ONLY allowed at the quarter break (except for injury, yellow card, etc.)
- Time STOPS – you have 90 minutes for a 50 minute game. Don’t take the time away from them.
- It’s a quarter “break” – not a miniature halftime. Keep it to 2 minutes or less.
- All players must play at least THREE quarters.
- You should mark the players sitting out each quarter on the game card to make sure nobody sits out more than one quarter. That’s why there are boxes for each quarter next to the player’s name on the game card.
Here is the actual text from the JUSA Handbook for Recreational play:
U8, U9, U10 Modifications
1. Substitution procedure is as follows: approximately halfway through the first half, and approximately halfway through the second half, the referee shall stop the clock long enough to allow substitutions. The referee will attempt to wait until the ball is out of play, but may also do so when the ball is in play. This is a substitution break and divides the game into quarters. Normally, substitutions may only be made during this time or in case of injury.